Competency in Designated Security Duties
CLASSIFICATION OF TRAINING FOR
COMPETENCE IN DESIGNATED SECURITY DUTIES
STCW CODE A-VI/6-2
This course is intended to provide the knowledge required for vessel personnel who are assigned specific security duties in connection with a Ship Security Plan to perform their duties in accordance with the requirements of the STCW Code A – VI / 6-2 and/or Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 s amended and/or the IMO ISPS Code.
Those that successfully complete the course should be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge to undertake the duties assigned under the SSP. The knowledge shall include, but not limited to:
- Knowledge of current security threats and patterns
- Recognise the detection of weapons, dangerous substances and devices
- Recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioural patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures
- Crowd management and control techniques
- Security related communications
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans
- Operation of security equipment and systems
- Testing, calibrating and at sea maintenance of security equipment and systems
- Inspection, control and monitoring techniques and
- Methods of physical searches of persons, personal effects, baggage, cargo, and ship stores
It is assumed that those attending this course will be serving seafarers (or other ship’s personnel) and are likely to be assigned specific security duties in connection with the Ship Security Plan.
Documentary evidence should be issued to those who have successfully completed this course indicating that the holder has completed training in, “Maritime Security for Ship Personnel with Specific Security Duties” based on this course.