Marine Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention
Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
STCW Code A-VI/1-2
Applicable international standards
This standard has been developed to meet the requirements of Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting as contained in Section A-VI/4, Table A-VI/1-2, Chapter VI of the STCW Code.
Standard of competence
The training in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting is for all Seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on board ship on the business of that ship as part of the ship’s complement including some Port Operations vessels. The objective of the training is so that all seafarers understand the dangers of fire and are able to take preventive measures against fires as well as responding to emergency situations involving fire.
Objectives and outcomes
- Minimize the risk of a fire occurring,
- Maintain a state of readiness to respond to emergency fire situations
- Carry out initial actions on discovering a fire on board,
- Identify the different firefighting mediums and which is the best to use for different types of fires, and
- Actively and positively contribute to a fire fighting party/team.
Pre-requisites for entry into the course
The course is open to all persons who intend serving on board seagoing vessels and must be of a minimum age of 16 years or older.
Holders are required to maintain the required standard of competence, and provide evidence every 5 years by re-attending this course.